It was bible lesson time with the kids. We opened our books and began the lesson for the day. The story was about Zecharias.
The story is found in the first chapter of Luke, verses 5-25. It is fun.
Zecharias is an old priest, chosen by lot to serve in the temple that day. An angel comes and tells him that he and his wife (who is old too!) are going to have a baby. He laughs and says, how can this be? we are OLD!
I thought of another time when an old woman laughed at the prospect of childbirth. Do you remember? Abraham and Sarah. In Genesis chapter 18. The story is in the verses of 1-15. Take note of verse 12.
12 So she laughed silently
to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such
pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?”
19 Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news!
This is important to me because one thing that is burned into my being is that at some point every. single. person. will bow before the Lord.
Philippians 2:10
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
The fact that all those soldiers bowed at the mention of his name, is completely amazing to me.
Back to Zecharias.
Gabriel says that he STANDS in the presence of God. WOW!! He must have some awesome spiritual fortitude! I am in awe that he could even stand near God, but am even more undone when I think about Zecharias. He didn’t know he would be chosen for a special job. He was being obedient and serving in the temple. Not only was he chosen, but he got his message from an angel who stands before God. WOW.
So, that little tidbit totally floored me and my children saw me get teary eyed over the realization. The next morning I was reading in Jeremiah about how much he struggled with the messages God was having him deliver to the people and how discouraged he was by all of it.
Jeremiah 15: 19
19 This is how the Lord responds:
“If you return to me, I will restore you
so you can continue to serve me.
If you speak good words rather than worthless ones,
you will be my spokesman.
You must influence them;
do not let them influence you!
so you can continue to serve me.
If you speak good words rather than worthless ones,
you will be my spokesman.
You must influence them;
do not let them influence you!
Notice the bit about the words? God is
telling Jeremiah that if he chooses his words carefully and speaks good
words, then God will restore him to service.
Back to Zecharias.
A stunned Zecharias uses his first words to
the angel to question God’s plan. And so…He doesn’t get to use his words
again until he has seen God’s promise come true. He is then restored to
service.
I know that in my life I battle with my
tongue. I use words thoughtlessly at times. I use them to bully, I use
them to correct in an unkind manner. I use them to show impatience, I
use them to voice complaints.
I also use my words to praise God, to
encourage, to show love. I have to admit though that the first list is
the more common. I have been talking to God at great length about this
dilemma. I have read scriptures that accurately paint a picture of our
tongues as forked, two edged. Scriptures that say that NO MAN can master
it. These verses are not necessarily encouraging, yet at the same time
they do encourage me in knowing that I am not the only one with this
problem. That God will not be surprised when I goof up in this area, and
will patiently help me to do better.
A fruit of the spirit that works here
is self control. I need to choose my words better. I want to be in the
service of the LORD. I want to speak truth, encouragement, praise.
Father, forgive my faulty tongue. I repent
of using my words selfishly and mean spirited. Thank you for your
forgiveness, mercy, and patience. Help me to be more thoughtful and
kind with my words and tone of voice. I want to be restored to you and
to be useful in your kingdom business. You are mighty to save, and
worthy of my praise!
In Jesus name, Amen.
1 comment:
Love the story of Zacharias. I enjoyed how you weaved it together in such an inspiring way.
Post a Comment