Saturday, May 16, 2009

First Grade curriculum

This is a fairly good list of what we used our first year of homeschooling.  Which is first grade.  My kids are 16 months apart, and so they did first grade together.  This has been great.  In the beginning of the year, the biggest difference was the fine motor skills of my daughter, when we began handwriting.  With a little time and more practice, she was doing just fine.  They have worked well together this year and often differ in their strengths and weaknesses.

First, my favorite resource so far to help me gather:
The Well Trained Mind: a guide to a Classical Education at Home

Bible
Leading Little Ones to God
Lifepac Bible

Science
Answers Magazine
Answers Book for Kids volumes 1-4
Build a science notebook
Tons of books from the library, different animals almost every week.  Then finding novels and picture books involving animals.
In the Spring, experiments.  Using First Science Experiments and From Mudpies to Magnets, both great resources that use materials around the house and seldom require a shopping trip.

History
The story of the world: ancient times
The story of the world: ancient times activity book
Again, tons of books from the library.  The activity book has completely awesome reading lists.  Although our local library often did not have the exact book on the list, I was able to browse on line from home the various topics and have piles waiting for me every Tuesday at our small local library.  I love when libraries share!

Grammar
first language lessons 
began this book around January, after basic handwriting and basic phonics are well cemented.

Reading:
Began with Phonics Pathways from Abeka.  My son HATED it. My daughter did fine and progressed great.  My son sort of came to a stop.  so I supplemented other stuff for him for awhile, using word families and lots of graphic stuff, until his attitude had softened.  Then I switched both of them to The Ordinary parents Guide to Teaching Reading.
Tons of library books based on the ancient times reading list.
BOB Books.
Clubhouse Jr. Magazine
Highlights High five
I often look at the reading lists on Sonlight Curriculum's website.  They have awesome resources and a rich literature core, I order from the library when I can and sometimes browse CBD.com with a title, looking for a quality literature bargain.

Math: We have several workborks, We will do lots and lots of counting, listing, comparing. we have pretend money and the kids love to talk about time. I think for the kinder/1st grade we can pretty much do math in life, with some table time.
foam pattern blocks
California Math Standards
Miquon Math I ordered the first book of 6 as well as cuisenaire rods.  I am liking this and so are the kids.  It is extremely affordable and will work for 3 years of math, if we want it to!
At the end of the year, I ordered Mathtacular DVDs to bring a little more energy to our math, as well as help me with real life examples of using math.  I bought this when Sonlight was having a 50% sale. woo hoo!

handwriting Handwriting maker on line.  I printed all the letters and we worked through them.
Spelling: Spelling workout A(started around March)

social studies:
Gods World News

so far, the ones that I have purchased I have found for at least 1/2 price at half.com...what a great place to order!
I have also found amazing deals at rainbow resource
I also really like CBD.com  and of course there's always Amazon!

3 comments:

Fiddledeedee said...

Good luck this first year!!! You look WAY more put together than I did my first year! :)

Carrie said...

Neat! Thanks for sharing this - I am hoping to home school in a few years (my first is just 18 months, with a 2nd bun in the oven), so I am soaking up everyone's recommendations! :)

Kathleen said...

Love the Well-Trained Mind and Story of the World! Best wishes as you begin your homeschool journey!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin