
Chapter book.
Read entirely in the car. We started it on Mother's day when we went over the mountain and back. Then this week whenever we have gone anywhere as a family. The kids even talked daddy into driving us to school yesterday so I could read. We finished it on the way home from T ball last night. They LOVED it. I then told them that there was another one and that Laura and Mary would be a little bit bigger and they got excited about that. I haven't said that there's 8 of them, or is it 9? I'm afraid that if they see how many, they might be a little intimidated by that, so I'll wait.
The book set we are reading from was given to me from my grandparents sometime in elementary school. It also survived a three year stint in my junior high classroom. I wasn't sure if Caiden would love the stories, but so far there have been enough bear, deer and hunting to appease him. When he previewed the next book he got pretty excited by the the Indian pictures, so hopefully this will be a hit as well. It has sure made some of our driving time go by faster and more pleasant. (much less sibling squabbling for the moment!)
They love all the pictures throughout the book. Whenever I'm reading a page without a picture Ady says, "Is it just words mom?" I so dearly want to explain that a book like this is never just words and never just about the words. There are so many lovely moments in the story and as we read the story that will stay with us for years to come. These moments will hopefully plant a love of reading seed in them and create nice bonding for our family. There's also some really nice opportunities to teach and talk about values like lying and hard work and blessings. But how do you say that to a four year old?
So, yes, Ady this page is just words.
2 comments:
Some of my very best memories are of when my mom would read to my sister and I as part of school. She read us all kinds of things. My favorite was the Boxcar Children. We also read many missionary biographies. Those gave me a love for other cultures and I am so thankful for the time my mom took to include is in her favorite pasttime.
I remember your sister talking about the missionary biographies and would love to share that with my kids. I never knew before that, that they existed. I haven't found a good list or source of them yet though. maybe I haven't looked hard enough...
Post a Comment