Saturday, January 5, 2013

A touch of paradise

I got to spend a week in Hawaii with my best friend this winter.  My husband graciously agreed to  spend the week as a single homeschooling parent.  What a blessing he is!  After using miles for a free airline ticket and knowing that I would be able to stay in her parents accommodations, I was off to make lesson plans for hubby and order a new swimsuit! 

I left on December 8 with a drive to Medford, where I met my parents to drive to the airport.  Mom dropped me there, and my car parked at their house for the week. (free parking! thanks mom and dad!)  Next up was an hour flight to Portland, then waiting in the terminal, where I enjoyed a lovely coffee and met up with Nora and her parents and brother.  We were all traveling on the same plane to Honolulu.

Ironically, my only choice of seat using my miles, was in first class. Although I was traveling with friends, I was "stuck" in first class enjoying my shrimp dinner, complimentary media player and ample leg room, by myself.  I knew I would be back in coach for the return trip, so I was out to enjoy all that space...too bad the seat was uncomfortable despite the other pleasures! I guess you just can't have it all.

Once we landed in Honolulu, Nora's brother Joe, who had arrived earlier in the day and rented a vehicle, agreed to pick us up at the airport and take us to our accommodations.  It was kind of like recreating the clown car ride at the circus.  A total of 7 of us fit in the vehicle with our luggage. I am thankful for light packers!  I think everyone only had 1 piece of luggage which were almost all small carry on size.  Only two of us had checked a bag.  Once we were all packed in, reality hit.  Joe wasn't staying where we were, so he didn't know how to get there.  Directions were in one of the several bags under Ed's feet up front.  By the time Nora realized that her phone's navigation was needed we had already taken the wrong highway....the fun had begun!  Add to this, rain and dark.   After some creative driving, mapping gymnastics, and a bit of Hawaiian language guessing we did make it to the correct driveway at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and check in began. Thanks Ed!

Our rooms were great.  The six of us had two bedrooms, a generous living area, kitchen, two bathrooms and a balcony.  Nora's brother and friend graciously gave us girls the 2nd bedroom for the first half of the week and with a little help from Ed and his negotiator/Dad skills, we scored the bedroom for the second half as well!  Chivalry does indeed still exist.

This the view from our balcony.  A little lagoon, we were staying in the Lagoon Tower. Then the ocean behind it. great access!



Day 1:  Breakfast at the nearby diner, and wandering around the resort and beach area.  We found a church service on the beach and stayed for that.  Later, lunch at the mall ( my favorite meal all week was at this time, noodles in broth and tempura shrimp. yum!) and grocery shopping, where food costs A LOT, but still cheaper than all meals out!  We were thankful to have taken our backpacks with us, because we were packing it all back to the room.  Nora was in charge of the eggs and bread, while my bag became a mini fridge with milk, roast, bacon, etc.  It was up for grabs who had the most to lug back!  She seemed to think that not breaking eggs, or smooshing bread deserved some award.

Day 2: Hike at Diamond Head.  This is one of the activities I had been looking forward to from the beginning of our plans!  Hiking from the center of a volcano crater to the top?  Awesome.   We bought our bus passes and headed off to try public transportation.  We made it!  We met Joe again here, with his family and we all enjoyed the hike together.  It was warm, but a lovely breeze helped keep us cool.  At the top, the wind was really blowing; the view? Gorgeous.


 After many many switchbacks, just a few stairs. and a tunnel, then more stairs in spiral form.


 We made it to the top!



Next up? Another clown ride in Joe's vehicle. This time substitute two full grown adults for two carseats with kids.  Fun times.  We were headed to the International Marketplace for some lunch and browsing of locally made products.  Nora's parents met us here, they had politely bowed out of the hike, but were game for lunch and browsing. The boys split off to find a manly meal at Puka dog, which they found out is now called Hula Dog....hee hee.  I was in search of more noodles!

We wandered through this beautiful resort, then walked through to the beach and enjoyed an afternoon swim while Nora's mom babysat our bags.  Next a phone call to the rest of the group and finding dinner!  Dinner was Nora's choice, we ate at an outside patio at Duke's. Great burgers, great company, and a great view.  We did manage to find the right bus back to the room, instead of taking the long walk back. At this point, we were VERY tired!  We were definitely up for less walking the next day, which proved to be just what happened.

Day 3:  Our goal was to ride The Bus around the island.  We were hoping to eat from a shrimp truck, maybe catch a surfing competition at the north shore and see the other side of the island on the way back.  Sounds like a good plan, doesn't it? None of that happened as we expected.

Bus routes had recently been changed, and so the expected departures, were not as expected.  First, we did get a bit of a late start. Our trip began by going through the middle of the island...had we thought this through a bit better, we would have tried to go the OTHER way first!  Going through the middle though did allow us to make a visit to the Dole Plantation, where I enjoyed a fantastic cone filled with pineapple ice. yummy.


From here, we headed further North, where we made a pizza stop, then waited and waited and waited for a very late bus to arrive to take us onto the north side....Ironically, a shrimp truck was parked across the street, and of course with hindsight, we knew we would have had MORE than enough time to enjoy some fresh shrimp. however, with never knowing just when the bus would arrive, we simply stared longingly at the truck and continued to wait on our side of the road.

From here, we traveled to Waimea state park, which is part of a humpback whale sanctuary and where the waves crash like crazy on a sandy beach.  I didn't go in the water, but I enjoyed watching the others get tumbled about! 







Another bus stop at this point for more waiting.  At this stop there was a bit of excitement. A vehicle came down the hill and ran out of gas and pulled off to the side, right at a corner/rock wall. Not a great place to stop.  After awhile, a few guys gathered and were able to get the vehicle to a safer place.  We did begin to wonder if we were secretly being taped for a "What Would You Do" episode as we watched the events unfold in front of us and whisper among us our advice.  Then Michael and Daniel joined the helpful guys, and Nora waved cars to slow down...we were redeemed from being simple onlookers!  Then it was back to waiting.

The sun was setting while we waited for this bus, and we weren't even a 1/3 of the way around the island yet! bummer.  We rode the rest of the way (a couple of hours.) fairly quiet, wishing for longer days and more beach!  The attitudes were great though and our time together was fun regardless of our expectations for the day.

Day 4:   In the hopes of finding great bargains we headed off on The Bus again, to the Aloha stadium swapmeet.  Here, the booths are set up three or four rows deep and go all the way around the stadium.  We did find a few great deals and made some of our souvenir/gift purchases. 



Later, Nora, her mom and I attended a lei making class at the hotel.  I enjoyed stringing the orchids and visiting with the ladies.
After lei making, the great dilemma of dinner with a large group became a reality.  We walked across to one favored place, only to find that it was closed. At this point we lost the "parents" who were done walking the town at this point. They chose to stay close, while the rest of us walked toward downtown hoping to find a place.  I had a noodle place in mind from my internet searching.  As we walked, a few more of our group found a more tempting restaurant and we were down to 4 adults and 2 kids.  We did indeed find the noodle place...yippee.  I got to have udon noodles and tempura shrimp again...I enjoyed the experience.

Day 5:  Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay!  We booked the trip the day before, we were picked up in a small shuttle and taken directly to the Bay entrance, and given our snorkeling gear. After a short orientation video we were off to explore.


 It took me about 15 minutes to feel comfortable putting my head in the water and breathing through the snorkel.  I have snorkeled before, but was surprised by my anxiety the moment I put my head in the water.  Nora patiently swam nearby while I made my lungs and brain work the way I was telling them to work. 
Finally, we were off to look at fish and seek out a sea turtle.  At times we were rained on, the sea was a bit choppy, so we stayed close to shore and hovered over the coral reefs.  We did indeed finally see a sea turtle. I got to look directly in its face as he swam up out of the coral and head off somewhere.  We saw sea cucumbers and big fish and schools of shiny fish.  A great day!  When our allotted time was up, we were cold and ready to be done.

Our last evening together on the island, Nora I spent walking down to the Waikiki beach hoping to finally catch a sunset, and enjoy the local street entertainment.   We did indeed finally catch a sunset, by eating at Duke's one more time.



 After dinner we caught the end of a free hula show down the beach .  Then walked through the marketplace again and caught part of another.


Nora tossed her lei up on the Duke statue. This took many attempts.

 Something I really enjoyed about walking around Waikiki was the abundant birds, and beautiful plants.  We stopped often to examine blooms and look at vines and branches intertwined. Banyan trees are abundant, they have growths from the branches that grow down to the ground and become more roots for the tree, and the amount of animals that find shelter in the banyan, is stunning.



 Herons and Koi at the resort.

 I found this guy in the resort as well, he is fun to watch, he eats bugs in the air and on the plants, he wiggles his long neck from side to side before plucking at the bugs.

Penguins and turtles also at the resort.

 A laughing thrush...at the resort in the market area.

Finally, it was time to pack up and get ready to leave.  A relaxing morning at the resort, then a shuttle ride to the airport.  I would be traveling alone this time.

Travel home did not go as smoothly as traveling to Hawaii.  It started out looking good when the airline waived my checked luggage fee for the return trip...Thanks ALASKA!  Then it all changed. My plane from Honolulu left about 40 minutes late...my layover in Seattle was scheduled to be 45 minutes long.  Needless to say, I missed the connecting flight.  I ended up spending the night in the airport terminal. 

I might have gotten the airline to spring for a hotel, but there really was only going to be about 7 hours in between, by the time I got to a hotel (minus my luggage) and rested a few hours, then got back to the airport in time to complete the security gauntlet, I would not really get any rest. So, I chose to rest with one eye open on a string of chairs, and continue my journey first thing. 

A short flight to Portland, then another flight to Medford, arriving in Medford at 9 am instead of midnight the night before.  Ironically, I'm pretty sure this flight plan was offered to me originally, a day later, but I had chosen to leave Hawaii a day earlier to have a better flight schedule....ergh.  My parents met me at the airport, where it was snowing and freezing, took me to breakfast and back to their place where I took a much needed nap.  Next, I got in the car and headed over the mountain with icy roads, arriving home in the early afternoon. Whew!  I was grateful to be in our warm home in the arms of my family.

I really really enjoyed the trip and time with my best friend. I would definitely go back, anytime!  Thanks for letting me join your vacation, Gagznos family!  A great treat to spend time with my "second family".  Fun memories and renewed friendships. True blessings.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin