And so, we began production at the Hillwright Mill this week to celebrate!
Begin by shredding existing paper (no mulberry bark or hemp to be had in our natural surroundings!)
Then blend the torn and soaked pieces into a pulp.
Pour pulp into a container of water. Container needs to be big enough to accommodate whatever size screen hubby has made for the activity. (Thanks hubby!)
Use screen to lift pulp out, let water drain off.
More pulp collecting, treat it gently, or it will clump. and you'll get to do it again! :)
Set pulp side down on cotton cloth. We used an old sheet on the picnic table. Gently lift screen starting at one end, pulp should stay behind to dry. Drying takes at least an hour.
Once it is dry, pull the paper off the cotton, and voila! paper!
This was a fun activity. In fact the following day, the kids are out there by there own choice making more and playing in the pulpy water. The paper we used was kid scribble paper, (similar to newsprint, and blue construction paper) I was a bit controlling and made them choose only one color, because I didn't want to end up with brown mucky colored paper. I think the container of pulp may live out on the deck for several days for further entertainment. We will probably add more pulp to it a couple of times to keep the ratio of pulp to water higher. This was a lovely conclusion to our two week study of China in the Middle Ages. Stay tuned for our next unit on Russia. I have ordered several Russian fairytale storybooks, books and movies about Tzars, Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible, books about matyroschka dolls and batik. I plan to conclude with a feast of Borscht, and a variety of breads, and a craft of Batik making.
No comments:
Post a Comment