Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Makin' it scrappy!

I finally finished a scrap quilt. I begged fabric from a few sewing friends and family members.  I think that what I ended up with is very colorful and fun.  It has a nice batting inside and a fleece back, needless to say, it is a VERY cozy blanket!


 I started by cutting lots and lots of strips from many different prints of fabric.  I used cotton and flannel.  Then I sewed squares made of three strips each. Then laid the squares out, and sewed them into strips.


After the strips are made, then I sewed the strips together, until the whole thing is one big piece!

A border was next.




Next up, my friend Tami came over for a day and taught me how to layer the pieces and pin it all together, then I hand tied it together.  Thanks Tami!


Next was the binding.  Fortunately one of the prize scraps from my Aunt Dorothy was a cut, joined, ironed and rolled binding!  There was enough to do the whole quilt...wow! Thanks Dorothy, if it was you who did the cutting and joining!


Finally a little trimming and another round of sewing the binding. I didn't know to sew a larger seam allowance to make the appearance that I wanted.  oh, well....fairly straight lines, and no seam ripping, piece of cake!

I decided to NOT hand sew the final side of the binding.  I decided to machine stitch.  One side I went to a friend's house, she has a fancier machine and I tried out the decorative stitches.  After a few weeks of being uninspired to go try THAT again....(seem ripping those out, is NOT fun,.) I decided to simply zig zag the remaining three sides, 30 minutes later...voila!  a finished quilt.

a few weeks before this, I got inspired on a Saturday and made matching pillow shams. I still had plenty of cut strips to use, so that really was a fairly quick project.


 Here is the happy quilt and shams in the guest room!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin