Friday, March 8, 2013

some glimpses

A few scenes from our homeschooling time.

 Kevin has graciously taken on spending time with the kiddos during science labs.  Our emphasis this year is physics.  I was able to order some pretty cool educational kits for them.  They have completed magnetism, light and electricity together.
 This is our schedule helper this year.  Instead of using a piece of paper that I lose or forget about. I put it up on the wall and rearrange each week and each day as necessary.  I started by making cards for each time I wanted to cover a topic for the week. (For example, 4 math cards, and 1 math games card) Then by working around outside activities and events, I fill in our school days with the remaining time.  This helps us all stay on track, as well as helps us remember to get the "extras" in each week (like art lessons, music and art history, piano).  It is easy to remember the Basics, but often the wants and extras slip through the cracks as the days go by SO fast.  This helps us all feel like there is a rhythm to our time.  The kids like to turn the cards over when a subject is done, that helps them feel like they are accomplishing important things!

 Our school table moved to the end of the dining room to make room for the Christmas tree in the living room.  I like it there for now, so it hasn't gone back.  Some science posters for the year.

 We spent a few weeks on South America and the struggles for freedom. (we are in the early 1800's)  I found a great site to print FREE large maps.  Then I found flags somewhere online, and we merged the two into a neat wall display.  I also had each kiddo read a book about one of the countries and write a couple of paragraphs about it.
Next up?  We are finishing up a history text, which will take us up to the 49ers. Then beginning another text, and will start into simple machines for science.  I think these will be great topics to end the spring with!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin