Monday, November 16, 2009

Abraham to Joseph

Several months ago I found a great set of DVD's at the dollar store. They are not overly entertaining, but they are true to the biblical account of the patriarchs. (And the kids like them) Since our history covered Abraham's journey from Ur to Canaan a couple weeks ago. We had already viewed the movies in the summer and have certainly read the stories before. Which made for nice background for our history chapter. The chapter goes as far as Joseph in Egypt and Jacob's whole clan moving there, which will set us up for the great exodus in about 400 years. To wind up the week, the kids made Joseph's many colored coat out of paper and we hung them up.

First, the kids laid on the paper and I traced their upper bodies, so their coats would be appropriate to their size. Then they each cut out the shape.
Next, I showed them how to strip the colored paper and glue the colors to the coat.
Our finished coats, hanging on the line.


I cannot complement this history curriculum enough. It is easy to understand, interesting, and set up with great activities for the kids and lots of maps. I love how the history of our bible stories is integrated into the history of the world. (As it should be!) A blessing of homeschooling is that these topics need not be meticulously separated, because I'm not offending anyone!! yippeee. The curriculum consists of two books, the text, and the curriculum guide (which includes, comprehension questions, book lists galore, activity ideas, and blackline masters)

The curriculum structures we are enjoying thanks to the Well Trained Mind are great. They are flexible around our schedule, appropriate for young children, and economical, because I can piece it together and find resources at my convenience, I am not having to pay high dollars for a fully boxed curriculum with too many extras that wont fit. The book lines out all twelve years of a classical education with recommendations of curriculum for each area in each year. Book lists, and timelines and sample schedules and lots of suggestions. I LOVE IT!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin