I bought glycerin soap at Michaels, it has coconut and aloe in it. I chopped up the blocks and the kids put them in the top of the double boiler to melt. I was surprised how fast it melted. I was picturing the incredible slow melt of parafin wax. One set of directions suggested using the microwave and taking it out every 10 seconds to stir. This method didn't actually sound like much fun, they like to stir on the stove and feel BIG.
Next, they chose a color and dropped the food coloring in drop by drop. Surprisingly they didn't ask to mix the colors. The closest they got was Caiden asking to make a rainbow. Maybe we need to work on this a bit more...apparently my darlings aren't familar with primary colors. (I feel a lesson coming on!) I had also bought sparkles for the soap, and we added some to each batch. Michaels is really a fun place to gather craft supplies, good thing I hardly ever go in!!
Next, spoon the melted and colored soap into molds. We used ice cube trays. After we had 1/2 the soap made, I did see cute Christmas shaped silicone molds at the dollar store, but I didn't want to have to store them, so boring cubes it is! Maybe another year, tree shaped soap would have been cute. After pouring into the molds, it takes a couple of hours to cool and harden. They popped out like a charm. (although I did spray them with Pam at the beginning)
Once they were all completed, Ady divided them up between the containers, I think they turned out cute, and I hope their friends will enjoy their Christmas soaps. I also think that Caiden and Ady enjoyed the project, they had smiles from start to finish and took turns beautifully!
No comments:
Post a Comment