Thursday, December 3, 2009

Will Stop for fresh fruit

Last week during our Thanksgiving travels we stopped at an orange grove in Orland, CA. My husband is a bit of a fruit freak, and so we stop regularly for large quantities of fruit, especially if freshly picked. We stopped at the grove on the way down, then again on the way back up. At our second stop, we got a tour of the packing facility and the kids and I and the dog went for a walk through the grove. Caiden picked a couple of oranges. We got bags of mandarins and of Fishers. The machines this particular grower has to bag the oranges happen to be old potato baggers from our area...which of course leads to farmers discussing crops and other things...which is probably when the kids and I headed out for a walk.

The kids have been eating the mandarins like crazy. I don't personally care for them, but they love how easy they are to peel, the small wedges (perfect for little fingers) and how juicy they are. I like the Fishers, they are low in acid and very juicy and sweet.



Today we made orange juice out of the Fishers. It was fabulous. We even got a tiny impromptu fractions lesson out of it, when we counted how many oranges it took to make the juice, because they wanted to count each 1/2 as one, so we got to pair them up and count again. I loved the mechanical juicer, it was acquired from Kevin's grandmother's kitchen a couple years ago and I hadn't tried it out yet, great fun! So, we used 10 oranges to get 3 cups of juice, doesn't seem too bad!! Certainly more than I would get by doing it by hand! Plus it was absolutely delicious!


1 comment:

Aly sun said...

Making me hungry for oranges. Yum!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin