Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Storytime

We just finished reading Sarah Plain and Tall Sarah, Plain and Tall and I adored it.  I have seen the movie, but the book really was so very very sweet.  So I went to the library website to see if we could get the next books, but they only have the audio.  This may be a boxset that we need in our forever collection.  A friend of ours has the movie collection, but I'd like to read the series first.

We also got Adventures in Odyssey from the library to listen to during our car trips.AIO #13 Gold -It All Started When...(Audio-CD) (Adventure in Odyssey Gold) (Adventures in Odyssey Gold)  We had borrowed the novacom series from a friend and loved it so much.  One of our radio stations is suppsed to broadcast the series, but it doesn't seem to always broadcast on schedule and we can't always get the station, so this works better because in the car we are a captive audience.  My hubby isn't a fan of audio books, but he does enjoy these.  I think the differences are the voices and a bit of music.  Plus they are less than 30 minutes each, which makes it easy to break up into chunks. I love the christian base and the life lessons at the end of each one.  There are videos available, but I would rather work on my kiddos attention span to the spoken word and let them paint pictures in their heads.

Our next read aloud is Henry Huggins Henry Huggins [HENRY HUGGINS 50/E].  I haven't ever read this.  There seem to be several available and it is by Beverly Cleary.  I do remember reading and rereading a few books by her, and so I am anticipating another enjoyable read.

Before Sarah Plain and Tall we read, Follow My Leader Follow My Leader which was about a teenage boy who becomes blind from a firecracker accident.  He then gets a seeing eye dog.  It is a great story about overcoming difficulty and finding strength.  After reading that one I found several picture books about guide dogs at the library and we are enjoying those.  Next I am planning a trip to Dogs for the Deaf.  All of this has been good timing with baseball season and a new puppy in the family.

I have been getting read aloud books based on the read aloud list at the Sonlight Curriculum website.  Sonlight has a good reputation for quality literature choices and so far, we have not been disappointed.  Our library does not carry all the books, but it is a place to start.

What about you, what has been a good read for you lately?

1 comment:

Andee said...

Did you know you can download Adventures in Odyssey individual episodes? Audible.com They are around $1.50 each. They go through itunes, then you can put them on your MP3 player or burn them to CD. You choose what format you want and TaDa.
I LOVE audio books and radio shows, we listen every Saturday morning and the kids are becoming converted. Check out The Pond radio show (lifeatthepond.com)-- you can listen right on the computer. And you can't miss with anything by Focus on the Family Radio Theater.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin