For awhile I have been occasionally reading posts on Nature Mom's Blog. Although I don't embrace all of her practices and ideals, I am challenged to learn a bit more about food. I do love food. I like cooking it, eating it, reading about it, talking about it, buying it. Food is good.
She recently posted about Kefir and how easy it is to make. It is milk fermented using kefir grains. It is full of probiotics, the fermentation uses up the lactose, and it is a complete protein with all 20 amino acids. Good stuff! I bought a bottle the other day to try. It tasted basically like yogurt, was a little spendy, but I didn't want to buy supplies if I ended up not even liking the stuff! Since it tasted like yogurt, I'm good with it! I like it better in a smoothy rather than by itself, but I have had a small glass before bed each night and it is good.
Today I ordered Kefir grains from Amazon, and I plan to give homemade kefir a try!
I already found a website that has some pretty nice looking sourdough recipes, including blueberry muffins.
Another cooking tip on the same blog is to soak whole grains. The key to soaking them is to soak overnight (at least) in water with a little vinegar. or in buttermilk, or kefir, the point is to create an acidic environment. Then rinse them and use them. flour can also be soaked. I have read of this before but never cared to try it. Tonight I set up barley to soak for soup tomorrow. Not that adventuress, but a baby step maybe?
There is lots of information about soaking grains online, one place is this website.
So, we shall see! Introducing new foods is great for all of us. Learning more about how nutrition affects our bodies and overall health, is great!
No comments:
Post a Comment