After doing lots of reading last week, I decided to try my hand at sprouting grain and making flour. It sounded easy enough.
1. soak grains over night
2. keep grains moist for a couple of days until sprouted
3. dry in oven or dehydrator
4. grind in vitamix
I sprouted pinto beans earlier in the week and made my fav. no fat no refry bean recipe. I used them in enchiladas and they were yummy. I don't honestly know if there was a difference in flavor, but just knowing that I had hopefully increased our nutrition, made me feel good.
And so at the grocery store bulk section I bought some whole wheat.
Then soaked some overnight and then set up in a strainer and bowl (for drainage) with a towel over. Then I would rinse the grains about 3-4 times a day, and within 2 days...voila...sprouted whole wheat, so pretty!
Next up, in a warm oven overnight.
Grains are ready to be ground up.
About 10-15 seconds later, fresh ground flour!
I'm planning to use some of my sourdough starter and the fresh flour to make pizza crust today.
This recipe looks yummy and easy.
If you'd like to know a little more about why sprouting might be good for you, here is one website with some information, there is tons available all over the internet, so go ahead, and google it!
No comments:
Post a Comment