Monday, January 30, 2012

Watching our feathered friends

I have written about the Bird Refuge before.  In fact, I remember it being my very first blog post.  Caiden talked us into going for a Sunday afternoon drive to see birds.  He had recently spent time with avid bird watches as part of the KOSS kids day.  Since there was a break in the "important" football games, it seems like a good way to spend the afternoon...get all of us away from a screen and out looking at God's beautiful creation.  Birds definitely show off God's creativity!

I think we saw about 10 bald eagles. We tried to get Caiden to make a tally chart, that didn't last too long...better luck next time!  We did actually take binoculars this time though, which I don't believe we have done in the past.  This meant that we needed to stop, and actually LOOK slowly...nice.

In February is The Winter Wings Festival, and Caiden is very very hopeful that we will find the time to make it there....

On this trip, I did the driving because I am a TERRIBLE bird spotter. Kevin has awesome eyes, so he rode shotgun and pointed and navigated. This breakdown of duties turned out  very well for us.  We saw so many hawks, too many to count.  They don't stay still enough to take pictures. They sit on the wheel lines, and power lines, and fly off everytime we got close.  We did get to watch them a lot though, and that was fun.

So, a few pictures from our afternoon.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin