I started Roma tomatoes by seed many weeks ago, while it was still snowy and frosty outside. For the last few weeks they have been moved most days outside and in at night. The last few nights they have been out and look good. While in town this weekend, we picked up a few tomato pots. Last year we used all biodegradable, which work great, but....fall apart at the end of the season. So, we have a couple left of those that didn't quite fall apart, I went down to the old house and brought up 5 gallon buckets that we had previously used for garden pots, that already have holes drilled in them, and we bought 4 new pots that will hopefully last!
First, mix the dirt. Which around here requires a back hoe! a scoop of field dirt, a bag or two of new soil, and several shovel fulls of compost.
Next, line up the pots and put the starts in. Ady helped with this step.
If you look carefully behind Caiden, you'll see the stack of concrete bags and lumber...the dogs are getting an addition to their kennel...an insulated doghouse, with a window! Kevin has the forms in, wire down with those cute little cement wire tires, and is planning to mix cement today. I am thankful that he took a break to help accomplish the tomato garden!
Watering and fertilizing was next.
This year, I got my wish of a drip line. After a little fidgeting with the hose and drip valves, and putting some stakes in to hold the hose in place....easy watering! yay! This is our first time using a drip line, so I hope that all goes well.
And that's the start! I am planning for lots of sauce! After last year's canning, which we are almost to the end of. I decided that I really really like homegrown tomato sauce. I don't care to eat very many fresh tomatoes, and the varieties I used last year had a higher water content than these should have. Here's hoping!
No comments:
Post a Comment