I am amazed at how much cement goes into a foundation. This time a truck came to fill the block which makes the stem wall. It took most of the morning. It looks great and I can't imagine our foundation going anywhere!
What is not fun at the moment is getting the connection between the house and the block wall made. The entire perimeter needs to be attached firmly, with shims and nails (every 4 inches) Apparently this job did not fall under the duties of our foundation fellow, or the installation fellow, so it is Kevin's. Thank goodness my hubby is incredibly handy, creative and dilligent! He is using 2x6's doubled up, then shims to fill the gap. Unfortunately the manufacturer does not seem to care about detail work at the bottom edges. Kevin gets to pull staples, trim and cut all along the bottom. There are overlaps, uneven joinings, and gaps...perhaps since it is all covered eventually it is not perceived to be important. However there are places up the wall where it is obvious that a nail is sticking out a couple of layers deep and impossible to get to...hmm...
On a much more positive note, we got 13 truckloads of potato dirt delivered the other day to provide back fill around the house. The dirt filled up and covered two layers of brick. The top layer will remain exposed because the vents are in this layer. I can now enter the house without a completely awkward climb. This dirt will be lovely when it comes time to landscape and dig out for sprinkler lines in the future.
Another positive note, the installer finished our gables and all the exterior siding installation. Now we get to paint (we HATE painting and were very much hoping that it was included!!). The shake part in the middle will be white, it will be lovely, we may need to flip a coin to see who paints, although I'm pretty sure hubby would spare me a ladder climb, but I did tentatively offer if he would lift me with the squeeze and hay bales...it would at least make for some exciting blog fodder! Are there any volunteers? I'd be happy to provide room and meals... :)
2 comments:
I would shoot for a tractor with a loader or the hay squeeze with a PLATFORM. Spend a little more time out watching the squeeze and you may find you don't want to be lifed up there on just bales...they can fall through.
yah, I know there is more to it than just going up on hay bales, but it's always tossed around as an option around here for hight stuff, I'm really not sure he would send me up, while he sat in the driver's seat, but....who knows, he really does HATE to paint!
Post a Comment