Apparently, I have only alluded to his disappearance. Mouser had an auto immune disorder which created terrible sores in his mouth and made it too painful to eat... which equals a skinny grouchy kitty. After 2-3 weeks of prednizone and antibiotics he would be great and happy for a few weeks, then get skinny and grouchy and we would do it all over. He was a terrible medicine taker though. Giving him pills was a battle and I ended up wearing more pink amoxicillan than any cat owner should ever have splattered on a white terry cloth robe.
So, on a fateful day, I had gone in to the vets' and gotten a round of meds. I thought that after this round then maybe I would be up to having him put to sleep. We really liked him, and I wasn't ready to do that. I gave him his meds and sent him out for his nightly adventures. He didn't come back in the morning or later in the day.
A couple of days later, (still no mouser) Ady left a note and stickers for him in the old barn...just in case he needed to remember where his people lived. (it was very sweet of her) A week later, (still no mouser) my friend Carol called and offered a newly caught feral kitty. I went and visited and indeed this kitty is lovey and beautiful.
I think Mouser went off to die by himself, or that he was too weak to defend himself. The kids think that one of the big owls got him (I try not to think of that option... he may have been skinny, but really?) I am just hoping that there wont be any evidence found. (at least not by my little ones)
So, as much as we loved him, I actually am glad to have not had to decide to have him put to sleep. Ady woke crying the other night and sobbed, "Mouser was the best cat in the whole world, I miss Mouser." Broke my heart.
I am pleased that Princess is letting the kids practically smother her.
No comments:
Post a Comment