We spent A LOT of time in town last week, and I'd like to not return for a few more days. It is close to time to grocery shop. So I sent hubby down to the old house (where the almost empty chest freezer lives) to bring up whatever looked interesting. (we have a goal to get it empty so we can turn the power off at the old house)
He brought me, a whole chicken, 2 lbs. of hamburger, a couple of t bone steaks, and some stew meat. I was pretty excited, I knew about the chicken (it was on last weeks menu) and I thought there was probably some stew meat, I was pretty excited about the hamburger and steaks!
And so, menu planning from the freezer and pantry commenced. I had to empty and rearrange my little freezer to fit in all the new treasures.
This week's main meal menu which consists of already existing "stock":
Roast beef sandwiches ( 2 weeks ago, I cooked two roasts at once, and froze one, this will make for an easy lunch!) cabbage soup (I made a large batch of cabbage soup, that needs to be eaten)
Zucchini soup shredded zucchini from the summer, homemade frozen chicken broth, and a smidgen of pureed pumpkin will make this dish yummy! (the link is the closest I could quickly find to what I make, my recipe is from a cook book I bought years ago.)
Roast chicken,(freezer) Bush's baked beans, (pantry) baked potatoes (always free on the farm)
Chili burgers (patties in freezer) will make homemade buns, potato chips.
I'm also fairly certain I have makings for spaghetti, plus the other meat that hubby brought in, so I'm sure I can last even longer than this quick menu will give us. But we are expecting to go to town in a few days. The kids have book club on Thursday, and we will go to the parent resource center to check out our next batch of curriculum/educational games. It is a lovely deal to be able to stretch our time between grocery trips at times, when we are needing a little down time like this week. Plus the weather is terribly yucky this week, and who REALLY wants to go out in that?
What bounty have you found in the depths of your freezer lately?
and have you ever done a pantry challenge?
No comments:
Post a Comment