Sunday, March 28, 2010

Because you never know

I got to spend part of my 35th birthday with my grandpa Roland. Roland is in an altzheimer's unit these days and doesn't like not being at his own house anymore. He also lives south of us by about 7 hours. We don't get to spend much time with him. I adore my grandpa. Even though he seldom uses any of our names, and is getting quieter with every visit. His sweet smile, bright eyes, and hugginess remain.

We took a few gifts, chocolate cake and ice cream in to him. We sat on the patio and had some good laughs. I enjoyed our time there as a family. I got some nice pictures to treasure. I will treasure them because you just never know how many more occasions there will be to celebrate with him when he will know us and enjoy the day.

Grandpa had a pointer finger amputated many many moons ago due to an injury and infection. I grew up counting his fingers and playing the game of 9 versus 10 fingers. It is a great game with little ones and he still enjoys entertaining them. Caiden and Ady played along beautifully and shared many laughs counting to 9 and counting to 10 again and again.

Grandpa has always loved simple laughs of childhood. He has always been great with peek a boo, silly faces and tickling. What kid wouldn't want to be around that?

Lovely lovely laughs.


Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Caiden. Any similarities?
Grandpa Roland is the last Great Grandparent for my kids to know. They have been blessed to have known and loved 4. I am so blessed to have had my grandparents for so long. I have enjoyed sharing my growing family with them and miss each one.

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

the "greats" are so special. Looks like a memorable time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin