Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer doings

Summer has definitely arrived here on the farm.  Hubby has been working like crazy to get the first cutting harvested.  Already three buyers want it.  Kind of a mixed blessing around here, farmer doesn't like to make our buyers mad.  We have a few that are dependable and good with their money and we benefit from each one.  But a handshake is a handshake!

Swim lessons have arrived.  The kids swam everyday last week (except for the day of thunderstorms) they passed! They did a great job and I was very impressed with their attention to directions and how much better they were than last year.  And so...on to level three for the next two weeks.  I understand that this level is a bit harder, I think they actually start leaning a bit more about swimming, not just bobbing and floating.  YAY!!

Another clue to summer being here is my hypoglycemia rears up.  All winter long we have a nice order to our day and I was even beginning to wonder if I still had it.  I hadn't been "shaky" in a long time.  However, three days in a row this week I have been.  Why? because we have been eating cereal for breakfast, pb&j for lunch and not much for dinner.  A little fruit in between.  This is never successful for me.  I better get online and start browsing easy summer recipes for some inspiration.  A decent breakfast and a solid lunch keeps it all at bay for me, then I can snack in the evening and all is well.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ( I really don't need nutritional suggestions...recipes and links would be great!)

Great evidence of summer is the lack of T.V. viewing around here.  There is such wonderfully warm sunshine, which was severely lacking this spring, that we can hardly bear to be "locked" into something inside.  I got cushions and foot rests for the chairs on the porch and am enjoying afternoon reading overlooking the basin.

The kids planted seeds in jars, which would normally be a spring activity, but really? the weather this spring was crazy, so we will hope to have full grown plants by fall. The project is really about the germination and parts of plants anyway, so I am not too worried if we don't have fabulous flower/bean success.  I printed up workbooks and mini books to accompany our seeds.  I also ordered a stack of books from the library.  Books about plant parts, plant life cycle and Johnny Appleseed.  Should make for some nice science this week.

We also have things to look forward to!  Caiden turns 7 this week!!! I can hardly believe that is possible.  The fourth of July.  Hubby's birthday.  Visit from the in-laws and cousins.  Kids go to in-laws, trip to Reno and waterslides. VBS and camping! and I need to squeeze a garage sale in there somewhere. whew!  I really really like summer!

1 comment:

DuVal Family said...

Really no links or recipes yet? I was hoping to glean some information from your readers. :) I neglected to eat enough protein this afternoon and was scrambling for something. I'm not sure what the best solution is. I had a granola bar with peanuts in it and that seemed to help. Is it stating the obvious to suggest you have an egg or two with breakfast? :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin