After reading
Alysun's post about being a granola mama and how her perception of this has changed as she's become a mama, I thought that instead of writing a lengthy comment, I would simply respond on my blog. Besides, I needed something to write this weekend!
- To homeschool or not? I did homepreschool Adyson last year and it was a blast. This year both are in school for half a day and it has gone fairly well. I am still debating on bringing them home though, when I think about all the curriculum that we will have to "un-teach" them... then I see the price tag of good curriculum (knowing that if I am actually teaching them, I won't want to surf a whole lot for all the great free stuff.) But, I am considering it. I really am starting to consider this one... Some of you already homeschooling mamas... recommendations for a few reads to help in my decision making?
- Sewing...I did sew a couple of window valances and shortened a couple of pillow cases (king to queen) I tend to love hot glue more though. I make bean bags with old socks(the cute ones that the kids have outgrown.) and glue the tops with hot glue, seems to work great!
- My sandal of choice is my croc and I OFTEN wear them with socks..I don't care if that is reminiscent of birks with socks (which DOES happen on occasion as well...just not with a dress or skirt) I have the fuzzy lined crocs and LOVE them, they even go in snow...unless it's truly deep, but a little snow on my way to the burn barrel works okay.
- home birth? not on your life. lovely idea...but frankly after working that hard, having a whole staff devoted to my comfort for a couple of days and no yucky laundry in my washing machine? We're good. but thanks.
- Recycling? did you catch the part about the burn barrel? No garbage service here. 40 minutes from town...not going to add that to the errands or my trunk, sorry. But hubby's a farmer...that should count.
- I cook A LOT from scratch. Again, 40 minutes from town pretty much dictates this. Also good stewardship of money and resources demands this. When I can feed my family for about 6 dollars a meal, versus the 20-30 at a restaurant, there really isn't anything to discuss! Plus I do like when my hubby brags to someone about liking my cooking, that's just a really neat proverbs 31 kind of happy.
- We garden some. I have canned green beans, plums, and applesauce. This year our carrots did really well and so they are in the pump house in large containers of sand, seemingly doing very well. Onions are in the woodshop still hanging on nicely too. Some zucchini shredded in the freezer for soups and bread. I do make broth as well, sometimes from the beef bones, sometimes when I need chicken shredded, I will boil it with yummy spices and freeze the broth in one cup portions.
- Alternative and homeopathy...almost our middle names around here. I have a cupboard full of vitamins and remedies. We do go to the doctor though if what we think will help, doesn't help. We have done the oil in the ear though and neither of our kids has had an ear infection...lovely! I swear by GSE (grapefruit seed extract...a natural antibiotic) It can work great, if the infection is caught early.
- Granola..I have made from scratch. I buy some at a local mill. Our new favorite snack is apple slices (which I soak in salty water to keep them from browning) dipped in yogurt/peanut butter, then dipped in granola...all three food groups in one bite!! gotta love that!
And so...that's how I "measure" up to being a granola mama. Want to play along? consider yourself tagged, let me know so I can laugh with you too!
2 comments:
Good job tagging yourself on this one. You can read my lengthy comment on Alysun's blog. Of course you probably already did. A pretty fun exercise.
I had actually read Alysun's blog this weekend too and realized I am apparently more crunchy than I realized.
Post a Comment