Friday, March 13, 2009

favorite places


The kids love to sit by the monitor. If you are unfamilar with these, it is our main source of heat. We burn kerosene with it. It does a fair job of heating the main areas of the house. Upstairs we have a large wall heater reserved for the really cold, pipes may freeze days, and radiant wall tile heaters to keep the chill away.

The record player also lives in this "warm zone" and so, while they are "chillin'" by the heater, they can listen to silly songs (silly, because they play almost everything at a 45rpm speed, we listen to burl ives, but in chipmunk voice....silly!).

In the new house (if we ever get it) It will come with electric heat and we plan to add a woodstove. In our area, you have to have a second heat source, preferably one you can cook with. Although power outages are less frequent than they used to be, they certainly do still happen, and it is just too cold around here to NOT have a source.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Hi there. I thought I'd leave facebook alone for a change. My favorite spot in my parents' house is the monitor, too-- running full blast.

I know so many homeschooling mamas here, and not just because I work for a charter school:) All but three of us in the bible study homeschool their children...and I too am beginning to see why it might be best. Can you believe I'm saying that?

Kari said...

I know, I never thought I would really really be sold on the idea, but as my responsibilities of parenthood and my walk with the Lord strengthens, I am hard put to say that He would honestly want me to keep sending them.

maybe you will move here and we can homeschool together! wouldn't that be fun???

Annie said...

I miss the cold (:
Glad to hear you both thinking about homeschooling (:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin