Friday, March 6, 2009

Why teach another way?

This is my third book on homeschooling in two weeks. I am only 70 pages into it and it is by far the best yet. The beginning of the book focuses on the trends and failures within our public school system. As hard as some of this is to accept, (since I spent 5 years in college learning to be a teacher, and taught jr. high and now substitute.) it is challenging me to acknowledge some things about what I see and why I am hesitant to be sending my children away from me for long periods of time when I don't see much learning take place.

One of the root reasons that I have begun this deeper journey into this process is the fundamental responsibility we have as parents to train our children up in the way they should go. Textbooks are lacking much accurate information, Biblical lessons are all but chased out, the religious history of our country is all but ignored. Environmentalism is absolutely pervasive in all the literature, it is brainwashing our children to think that energy use and recycling is the only important lesson to learn. As I consider these things I am reminded that it is our duty to teach them truth from the beginning.

When I consider what "curriculum" could look like at home I get so very excited. When I think that we can learn our reading lessons as we talk about how awesome God is and how beautiful His creation is, I get excited. When I think about how we can teach history from the point of creation, rather than from the mythical times of millions of years ago, I get excited.

Here is a website I looked up today and plan on keeping bookmarked for years to come. I also signed up for the free newsletter, Acts and Facts. I would encourage you to do that also, even if you're not sure where you stand on the topic of creation vs. evolution.

Even if you are content with sending your children to school and have had a positive experience, or maybe you know a few homeschoolers and don't quite "get" why they would want their children to be with them all the time and not learning what everyone else is learning, I would encourage you to check this out and see for yourself.

2 comments:

Andee said...

Have you read The Well Trained Mind? Fantastic! I was convinced after page three, though I probably wasn't the hardest sell to begin with :)

Annie said...

Hmmm... I havn't read your blog in a while! Can't help but chuckle... didn't I say those things to you a couple of years ago? Of course, maybe I'm not the best example of homeschooling? (: Anyway, it's been good to catch up with you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin