Thursday, October 22, 2009

How I made





my second princess cake. Last year, my lovely friend Erika decorated it. This year she encouraged me to try marshmallow fondant. It was pretty easy and fun to learn something new.
I think I mostly like the results, at least for a first
timer who is presenting the "masterpiece" to 5 year olds who are known for their power of forgiveness and mercy!

First, I needed two cake mixes, I had vanilla and chocolate on hand, sounded possible. I mixed each and layered in the bowls, then took a knife and swirled them together a bit, hoping for a marbling, I think it kind of happened.
Next, cool and wrap until next day.

Make buttercream frosting and shape cake. I put the round one on the bottom, shaved off the edge, put some pieces in the top with toothpicks (hopefully will remember those tomorrow!) Layers and pieces have frosting in between, then all is covered in a thin layer of frosting which will serve as glue for the fondant.

I used a piece of string to measure the height and top width, then I used the same string as I rolled out the fondant to make sure I had a big enough circle. After it was rolled out big enough I rolled it onto the rolling pin and then laid it onto the cake. It draped pretty well. After trimming the bottom edge, I lifted in a few places to achieve the ripples.

Next, I wrapped barbie's legs in saran wrap and stuck her through the fondant into the cake. She was still too tall, so I had to get creative. I had fondant from trimming so I re rolled it and used my pasta cutter for a fun edge, cut them pie shaped and used them for the waist and top of the skirt, kind of cute eh?

Then I colored the rest of the butter cream frosting and used a bag and tips to add the belt and flowers. done! She is now wrapped in saran, loosely waiting to party tomorrow afternoon. Hurray for us!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin