Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday Science

I like Wednesday school around here. We start by going to piano lessons and art class. Then back home for letter writing. (today we got a few Christmas thank-yous done)
Today we had some cool science stuff that we got at the library yesterday. So we started with a video.
My Fantastic Field Trip To the Planets (2009 Pluto Update)



This video had great songs about the planets and silly conversations between the planets. Then a bonus feature of real footage of interviews with astronauts and rocket launches and space missions, good stuff!
Then some reading:
The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System
The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System
What is the solar system


What Is the Solar System? (I Like Space!)


The planetsThe Planets (Starry Sky)
and my favorite one, Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There is?
Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?I actually purchased this one a few weeks ago from Rainbow resource while Christmas shopping. Caiden loves loves loves to ask which animal is biggest and what do they eat, so when I saw this title, I knew we would love it. Not only is it lovely in showing the size of a blue whale but it carries into how much bigger the universe is and the parts of the universe, then we come back to the whale. Definitely MY favorite book of the week!

Next up, hands on. (not about planets, but sort of rocket like!)
Thanks to my cool brother and sister-in-law, we have a few cool science activities. Today we chose the mentos fountain.  All that we had to get was a 2 litre bottle of diet soda.

step one: taste a mento

Then load the thingy with 7 mentos and install on the bottle.
 Set on the ground (make sure you don't wear a coat so you can test whether it really IS cold outside!)
 Pull the cord and stand back!
 We have success!


 WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
 I wonder what diet pepsi with dissolved mentos taste like, and I wonder what 1/2 dissolved mentos in pepsi tastes like, MUST find out! what brave kids we have!


Caiden thought it all tasted great, Ady didn't think it tasted too special after being used in the fountain!
And that was a fun Wednesday at Hillwright School!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin