Sunday, January 16, 2011

weekend pleasures

I started this weekend with the intention of resting and taking things slowly. We did just that! Saturday morning started with cartoons, coffee, and Me reading a book.Love Letters from Ladybug FarmThis is the third in a series and it was a delightful read.  After a late breakfast of pumpkin scones, we went on a family hike. I hadn't walked with the family in a while, it was nice to tromp around on our hills again and see the dogs roam and the kids run. It is fun to see the water supply change as the winter goes on. There was a small waterfall at the spring and the upper pond has grown in size from just a week ago.
Next was homemade pizza. This is becoming our Saturday tradition, began by Kevin's grandmother oh so many years ago.
After naps and quiet time I finally finished a tote bag that I have been working on. The top ended up wider than I liked, and so I added buttons and straps to cinch in the sides, I think it turned out cute.  I made several bags for Christmas gifts, and wanted to make some for us! Although one of these is for a gift as well.



This is the bag I made for Ady at Christmas. It holds her embroidery stuff.  It was my first drawstring. It ended up a little taller than she needs, but she'll grow into it!

This is the one that I added buttons to on the sides. I have been practicing with bias tape for the top of pockets.  I have also been mitering the bottom for some extra width, which should be nice when we load up for the library!
Saturday was church, a great way to end a nice day. Lovely worship, good teaching, and great fellowship over chili dogs, we love our church family!
Sunday morning was back to town for another church service, where we enjoy thorough teaching through the bible. We are in Exodus right now just finishing up the plagues. My heart breaks over passover, picturing all the first born sons of Egypt dead overnight, including the Pharaoh's son, very sobering.
Then on to lunch (cook's day off☺) a couple of errands and home for a little house cleaning and naps.

Last week I uploaded and orderd 6 months of family photos from Snapfish. Sunday evening I got the books updated. I keep a family book, and a book for each kiddo, plus a birthday scrapbook for each. (Thanks Kimmie, they are still BEAUTIFUL!) I do this about twice a year, and always feels good to get it done.

A few weeks ago we fed chickens and cows for a neighbor. In exchange we got a great experience, laughs with the kids (especially when mommy had to "fight" the protective rooster!) and fresh eggs (Ady is a great gatherer, despite the rooster!) She also brought us a pumpkin for cooking, with the promise of more! I finally got to cooking it and making puree. It turned out gorgeous, it was really really pretty. I made scones first, then Sunday night I made a pie. Everyone enjoyed a piece while it was warm and the kids went to bed with happy tummies. Next on my slow weekend agenda is to catch up on my bible study.  Although I would much much rather soak in what this gal has to say on her blog. Her insights are challenging, and her writing is amazing. If you have a few minutes and would like to read reflections on how God works in a mommies life through her children and circumstances, jump on over there and enjoy.

2 comments:

DuVal Family said...

Sounds like a nice weekend. I ordered Ann's book. It hasn't been released yet but look forward to seeing it come in the mail. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Aly sun said...

Cute bags. I'm a bit addicted to making bags too. I actually have a pattern I want to try right now. Funny that I just went to the grocery store today and forgot ALL my shopping bags. I'll get better at this "green" thing, for now, I just enjoy the quick and cute projects.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin