Saturday, August 2, 2008

numbers, bags, and a bucket





For the last year, we've had numbers on the dining room wall. I used this for our "warm up" activity for school time. We did ABC's on another wall, then came over to the numbers where the kids pointed and counted. Now the fans and wind have worn out the stickiness of the tape and I decided that we would do something else with the numbers. The kids are pretty good at counting to twenty now anyway.
So...I cut each number "card" into three sections: the numeral, the word, the picture.
I have two activities now with these three parts.
first: one to one counting, using the pictures and buttons.
second: matching words with numerals.
The kids seem to enjoy doing this. I tried shiny glass rocks for counters first, but they were too big, buttons have proven better and easier, plus it works their fine motor skills better than the rocks.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

What a great activity! We had a much more shoot-from-the-hip lesson with numbers the other day. Becca was freaking out because I'd cut her marshmallow into two pieces while Jake's was whole, so I demonstrated the whole, half, quarters concept. Naturally they loved it since it involved food!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin