Thursday, June 18, 2009

diet choices

About a week ago I was complaining about acne to my friend Karen. Oh, how much I wish I could have "grown up" skin that wasn't blemished constantly. I mean really, at thirty something, does my skin really need to constantly rebel?

Anyway, Karen says, have you tried giving up milk? I'm pretty sure my jaw got close to the ground. I LOVE LOVE LOVE milk. I drink it almost as much as water. How could something so healthy for me cause my skin to be so icky???
so, of course I tucked that thought way way deep in my brain.

Then a couple of days ago I googled, acne and milk. I found this fairly simple description about a possible connection. It was convincing enough that I immediately started looking for possible substitutes. I'm not a big fan of soy and some of the sites said that soy in overabundance is not great because of the estrogen qualities. Well the whole, milk/acne connection is based on hormones, so I guess soy replacements in great amount would not be the better option.

Dairy is also a major migraine trigger. I have migraines (one or two a month).

I remember that I tried rice milk a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I also got to try horchata (mexican rice and water...yummy) at the preschool gathering. So, I looked up rice milk. There were absolutely tons and tons of recipes all fairly similar. Apparently once you know the process it is not an exact science. My kind of cooking! I finally went to the vita mix site, because we have one and it is AWESOME. Mostly what I liked was that using the vitamix would prevent me from having to strain the milk. (I am not terribly friendly with cheese cloth) I made a batch and it was done the next morning for cereal, it was great! Ady and I made Rice milk/ banana/ peanut butter smoothies 2 days in a row, they are great!

So, three days into it and I'm on my second batch of rice milk. I am pleasantly pleased about the milk and that it can be used in baking, cereal, and smoothies. Lovely!
And did I say how cheap it is?
Brown rice
vanilla,
minimal sugar,
water.

Next substitute... ice cream...oy vey!!

Today I made grilled cheese sandwiches. the rest of the gang had traditional. I made mine with fake butter and fake cheese. It was quite yummy and I would be willing to make it again. I didn't think I'd ever have any need to try fake cheese. But, my grilled "cheese" was very good.

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

Please keep us updated about the results of your new eating habits. The tie between nutrition and our health is so closely related, although most people just roll their eyes if you try and explain how differently a change can impact you. After a few weeks without dairy, you could also give a sugar free diet a try. I have a friend who has erased her migraines and dizziness after a visit to a nutritionist and now avoiding sugars.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin