Caiden and I took our first bike ride together on Saturday. We traveled to a few neighbors. (which in the country is a ways). Then Sunday evening we went to the close little town where we have swim lessons and play in the park. It seemed a little ambitious but Caiden is SOO excited to be riding like a big boy and he did not tire the evening before. (do "big boys" even tire anyway?) We had arranged with daddy to come find us at 7:30 if he hadn't heard anything. We were to ride to the park and call for a ride home. It took us an hour to get there. We clocked it with the truck on the way home....Our first ride= 5.7 miles. I'm impressed, considering I haven't ridden in probably 15 years.
On the way we saw; 1 dead almost eaten deer. Three sheep with bells on their necks, one friendly dog, lots of kids playing in yards. I enjoyed the peace of the trip and listening to tons of birds talking to each other. I don't know if Caiden really notices the birds or if he is so used to the variety that it is normal white noise to him. A few days ago we were having lunch at Red Robin and he covered his ears and asked if we could go to a quieter place. This from the kid who hasn't cared about sounds before...the many many changes he is experiencing this summer is so cool!
Back to the biking...I got a new bike Saturday. Hence, a trip over the hill between hubby's water changes and a great find on craigslist. It is an orange Motiv mountain bike. I'm loving it...except for the terribly hard seat. Uncle Mike...if you are reading this, I need suggestions! do I get a padded cover, do I get a different seat...do I grin and bear it and hope for numbness to take over?? suggestions anyone??
Have I mentioned yet how much I LOVE riding with Caiden? He exhibits such pride when he rides. I'm sure he ate many bugs (it is midge season after all) because he smiles the WHOLE time!
He is learning to stay on our side of the road. (no sidewalks in the boonies) and we are trying to distinguish the difference between pull over and stop. I told him to pull over to avoid scaring the truck passing us, once he saw the truck he ran off the road into a barley field. Somewhat comical here in ag land, but somewhere else, that trick would not go so well. He knows that if he gets in front of a car he could "get dead" how to teach him to use fear to make good decisions instead of rash ones...
hmmmm...we are to have the fear of the Lord. And He loves us unconditionally and is completely just. How often do we leave our fear behind because we know His love? And how often do we dive off the path because we fear his power? My favorite movies right now are Facing the Giants and Flywheel. If you haven't seen these I recommend them. They have given me challenging reminders about what faith looks like in life and how creative God can be to keep promises.
No comments:
Post a Comment