Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thanks bloggers!

Thanks to Works for me Wednesday on Rocks in My Dryer. We have done a few new things this week.
1st: During pool time, I grabbed the bath letters (I hadn't realized my baggie of letters were these kind until reading another post.) I tossed them in the little pool and the kids went after letters that I called out. This was fun. Caiden liked diving under and "surprising" the letters with a capture...all much better than fighting over turns with toys.





2nd: I made peanut butter balls. Caiden and I LOVE these.
Recipe (with my changes)
1 C. Peanut butter
1 C. Honey
2 C. powdered milk (1 1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. oats)

mix these three ingredients. roll into balls.

1 C wheat germ (1/3 c. wheat germ, 1/3 c. oat brat, 1/3 c. sesame seeds)
roll balls in mixture and refrigerate.
yummy!


3rd. I made homemade playdoh. (I used the vitamix) This play doh is so smooth and soft...at least fresh, we'll see what it is like in a day or two, so far it is better than traditional store bought, and it really didn't take too long. I think I need better coloring though...probably the paste kind for cake decorating?

The recipe
2 1/2-3 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 T alum
2 c. boiling water
2 T. oil
food coloring

I would link to each of the wonderful blogging mommies I got these ideas from, but I have no idea which ones they are, and the link list on Rocks in my dryer???? HUGE! So, I will simply say that these are not original from my own personal brain, but brought lovely joy this week to our summer fun, thanks!

2 comments:

BB said...

Good Ideas! A note on the playdough.. This is the recipe we use and it works really well. I got it from Kenzie's preschool in England.

*2 1/2 cups flour
*1 cup salt
*3 teaspoons oil
*2 cups boiling water
*2 packages of unsweetened Kool-Aide mix-the tiny tea bag size ones(flavor determines color)
1.Mix the dry ingredients
2.Add water and oil
3.Knead and let cool
4.Play freely

The feel, color and smell of the dough are great. It lasts a very long time when stored in plastic bags. The colors do tend to be more muted. I hadn't thought about enhancing them with the cake decorator paste. It would probably work well, but I worry about the stain factor. I know those pastes can cause some pretty permanent stains, even on some work surfaces.

Garden State Kate said...

I have never made my own play doh, but you are inspiring me to give it a go..maybe next rainy day. ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin