Friday, July 11, 2008

summer guests

We have a new breed of houseguest this summer. They come in many shapes and colors and tend to meet with the same end of trip tragedy..the squeeze. We have a new rule about the guests, they must remain in their own airy quarters, be provided with water and food. Then they are to be released by bedtime to return to their own home...no overnighters! This is a picture of todays visitor. We are discussing whether it is a cricket or grasshopper, I think grasshoppers are bigger than crickets and therefore this must be a cricket. I haven't seen it rub legs, jump, or walk yet. I have not looked anything up on the internet.

I just hope that all of the visitors this summer will have anywhere between 4 and six legs. If anything with zero or 8 legs comes in thinking it will find resting quarters for the day I just don't know what will become of the "guest room" it may become akin to a cedar box and live it's final day in the dirt...I could dig a big hole if I had to!

Yesterday while swimming a great big 6 legged winged thing was stranded upside down in the water. I saved it with a life jacket and we watched it float for a bit as it dried out. It was kind of grey with irridescent on the wings, kind of mean looking but fun to watch. We called Uncle Jerry over to educate us about it. He picked it up, pronounced that it was a horsefly and could bite hard. (I didn't know a fly could possible get THAT big!!!) then he squashed in on the ground! That was our science lesson for the day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin