Saturday, April 18, 2009

gifts vs. rewards



I love buying fun toys for the kids. However, we are trying to cut down on the toy buying simply to buy, or just because they were at the store with us. I want to avoid developing a "need" to have more simply because we see more.

This week, I picked up a couple of toys that I know they will like and am letting them "earn" them. They both have seen the toy and know what they have to do. For these, they will be making their beds decently. I told them that I would work with them for a few days then on days that they did a great job on their own, they would get a sticker on the chart. At seven stickers, they would get their toy.

Caiden's bed was EXCELLENT this morning, so we started right away with a sticker. Adyson needs some help learning how to pull the blankets up by sitting on the pillow. She traditionally cries at the idea of making the bed and then Caiden will help, but she hasn't ever really progressed into doing on her own.

I hope that by using this technique (I sound like Supernanny when I use the "T" word!) that I can still enjoy giving the occasional gift and they will learn a few more things around here, as well as build their ability to delay gratification.

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

Ooh, good idea, Super mom. I also love buying my kids fun things. I think it is because I felt deprived as a child because we NEVER got stuff at the store (I thought Play Doh was at least $400 a can). But then I also feel guilty that I am teaching my kids that they can get whatever they want.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin