Sunday, April 26, 2009

My biggest resource

If you looked here yesterday, you would've seen that I was adding my current list of resources for our adventure in homeschooling next year. I think I'm almost done, and well under budget! Since we will be packing the household up sometime in the next couple of months I really wanted to have this done before that. Also, I didn't want to be throwing it together at the time of starting.

If you have been reading this awhile, you know that I have been pondering the topic for some time. I have read several books on the topic and spent much time thinking about my kiddos and our parenting responsibilities. They have been in school for 1/2 days this year and I really quite dislike how little time we get with them, especially knowing that it will be even less next year and in the years to come. Our culture has gotten to a place where it is very difficult to decipher what is good and what is deceptive. Since public school is a place that all beliefs need to be respected that leaves it to be an empty place for my kids. We want them to learn their basics with the perspective that God made it all and it is ordered and things have happened over time for many reasons. I want sin to be a part of the conversation. I was the end times to be a part of the conversation. I want hope for the coming kingdom to be in the conversations.

If they are at a place for 6 hours a day where none of these basic things can be contemplated and talked about, then they come home tired from all the noise (both physical and emotional) around them, we rest a bit, eat dinner, read a bit, go to bed. where do these important ongoing conversations take place?

And so, thanks to my dear long distance friend Andrea, mother of two darling boys, I have been reading The Well Trained Mind .
I had come to a place that I knew I wanted to bring them home to learn, but was feeling quite overwhelmed by all the styles and possibilities of what this might look like. The Well Trained Mind is awesome. It has a detailed plan for a classical education at home. It has wonderful lists of resources, and authors. It has schedules, and how to's. I love it. And so, I have been able to gather resources that I believe will benefit us and provide a strong foundation for our studies here. I am getting quite excited.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin