Wednesday, September 10, 2008

a few activities





Yesterday I finally figured how to put our sight words up. For some reason I just have not had adequate brilliance to figure how to do this without using many dollars worth of velcro. After looking at Caiden's kindergarten room..his teacher is a wonderful veteran teacher...I noticed paperclips in her calendar chart...I thought I could make that work.
Here's pics of Ady and I making our sight word chart. Now they can be up and used whenever anyone notices, not just when mommy decides to play teacher.

Today, I decided that they were big enough to learn about records. Fortunately I was a packrat child..(no comment, parents) I still have a good collection of Disney stories and other miscellaneous records. I first had to drag out the old stereo (thanks Kim) from the pump house, and dust a few years worth of dirt off. I was hoping that it would indeed still have a needle and adequate sound. This stereo did live in my jr. high classroom before I married dear Kevin and I honestly could not remember if it still worked. Guess what??? It does indeed work. Just as I was plugging in wires and after I had climbed into the recesses of the under the stair closet to find said childhood records. (had to dust those too.) the kids woke from their non-nap(that's another post altogether) and we sat down to enjoy a new story. I chose Pete's dragon because I thought it would capture Caiden's interest and I always thought that it had the best sound effects out of them all. The kids were completely enthralled, and totally didn't understand why I had to turn it over to finish the story. We listened again at bedtime and enjoyed the songs at the end where Elliot "talks" with Pete.

After the record excitement it was time to go to the library for some new stories. First stop, go to daddy on the swather and take him Popsicles. He thought we were brilliant because he needed a ride home to change the pivot. However, before we could do that, our neighbors had a good size fire going and it looked awfully close to the hay barn. We drove over and Kevin spent the next hour fighting a haystack fire with a garden hose, until the firefighters got there. I think it took 40 minutes for the firecrews to come. Thankfully the guys were able to move the burning stacks away from the shed so only 2 or 3 stacks are lost, as long as no embers blow into the shed tonight. Caiden and Ady did enjoy seeing the firetrucks and visiting with the neighbor kids. Oddly enough this is the family I have been trying to get a play date with for over a year...God answers in unusual ways sometimes!
dinner tonight: tenderloin steaks slow cooked in cream of mushroom. crock pot potatoes, corn on the cob (fresh from garden) and peasant bread.
Both of these new recipes come from my reading of this blog and her menu plan. She does a great job using easy ingredients to make wholesome family meals.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin