Before I got married, I had finally gotten good at starting my day with devotions and meditation. Once the babies arrived, there have been times that it worked, but for the last couple of years it just has not happened. I try to use nap time and evenings, but it just isn't the same as starting the day off with my Lord.
My children are early risers, which is a habit I do NOT intend to change. So, I dug out a couple of old alarm clocks and plugged them in upstairs in their rooms. Not only do they love them, but they have SO FAR been faithful in staying upstairs until the alarm goes off at 7.
This is giving me time to read and pray and shower before the activities of chores and readying for school begin downstairs. The kiddos come downstairs dressed and ready to focus because they have already played and laughed. This has also eliminated our bad habit of watching a t.v. show upon waking. Even though it is always PBS, it is nice to not even do that.
So...hats off to mommy for "using what we have" (my latest theme in life) by using alarm clocks already in our possession (instead of buying Thomas the tank and princess alarms..which would have to be given away in a few years.)
And three cheers for mommy finding a bit of devotional time again. I know that all things begin with prayer and meditation. I cannot stay the same and go with God. I must be growing and learning and be ready to move, or my family will grow stagnant; which is NOT what I desire for our home.
Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
Head on over to Rocks in my dryer for more Works for me Wednesday tips.
7 comments:
I really like this idea. My kids are also bad about climbing out of bed in the middle of the night and trying to climb in bed with me. This might even work to help with that - "you have to stay in here until the alarm goes off, ALL the way until the alarm goes off!" :) It would also help me get my morning time in because that is a struggle as well. I'm not sure how well it would work with the three year old - but he does everything his sisters do, so MAYBE! :)
Amber @ Classic Housewife
www.classichousewife.com
What a fantastic idea! My daughter is only 9 months old, but I will have to remember this for the future. Thank you for sharing!
PS - I love love LOOOOVE your background!
Awesome idea. We do something similar except we have a regular clock that hangs on the wall. He's not allowed to get up until the short hand is on the 7 and the long hand is on the 12. It works pretty well most of the time. He gets a little confused if he wakes up later than 7 which is so rare I don't even worry about it. Paul has the day off today so we got to sleep in (until 7). i got up at groggily walked down the hall only to see the light on in the boys' room. I peeked in to discover them playing quietly, the baby still in his crib, Benton nicely handing him toys and telling him stories. Insert happy sigh here.
That sounds great! I have one son that wakes up so early and it always makes me feel like I'm running behind! :)
Great idea!
Way to go! That's a creative mom's mind at work. :) I am going to use this idea. Thank you. :)
Thats a great idea! My kids (well 2 of the 3) are early risers too. What I am struggling with right now is the dog... as soon as I get up the dog is in my face wanting to play... unfortunately I don't think the alarm trick will work on her...but it will work for my kids so I will give it a shot! Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment