Thursday, June 12, 2008

experiment




I have been dreaming up what our tentative summer schedule would be like. I decided to try an experiment. Before I went to bed I set out a couple of handwriting and prewriting papers on the table with a bucket of pens and pencils and a set of matching cards. I was curious how interested the kiddos would be in "working voluntarily" when they first get up. Ady actually was quite happy to sit down and do them (not a big surprise) and was really happy when I joined her with my morning coffee. Caiden really wasn't interested until I bribed him with a computer game if he did one of the sheets....is that cheating?? I think I will set out a couple of bible story color sheets next time and see what the response is to that, maybe that would help us lead into a morning devotional time with them. (as well as let teacher mommy help them work on coloring skills)

Last weekend, I rearranged my big closet and the activity area in the toy/office room. So far it is working out really well. I moved the age appropriate games down to shelves they can reach. Which has increased their use and decreased their need of mommy to get them down. I moved the coffee table into the room to provide a "display" table of sorts. which is a nice place for me to conveniently lay things of interest without always taking up the dining room table. It also totally opened up the living room!!! although I am missing it as a footstool...but in theory, in the summer we are seldom in the living room, except to pass through to the bedroom at night anyway!

Next week I plan on incorporating the handipoint chart I printed out, and will probably need to do some trimming down. But I do want them to earn points and I just found two events they could earn toward....climbing the rock walls at the place in town and going to a destruction derby later this summer.

2 comments:

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

I love rearranging furniture. SOunds like the coffee table will work great.

Garden State Kate said...

That looks great!
I find most days having stuff set out ahead works great for P, but not all.
I don't get discouraged, I just move on. ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin