I am completely looking forward to the lack of structure..as it applies to other places and other people. I do however want to incorporate a pattern for our days during the summer. Why do a schedule? I believe creating and using a purposeful schedule for my family teaches discipline and thoughtfulness about life. I know that to be a kid demands a certain amount of free time and free play, but to be a kid growing into an adult demands some strategy and purpose. Getting up and moving first thing is an important life skill. Enjoying nature and learning about his perfect creation builds the foundations for a truthful life. Eating proper and resting regularly honors God by taking care of the bodies he has blessed us with. Teaching my children to read and learn is honoring God by taking my parenting seriously and teaches them to think each day.
change #1 Lunch will be very informal...rather than being like dinner. we will transition to a more "traditional evening meal" and will need to keep that with both kids in school next year. I'd appreciate ideas of easy summer lunches....sandwiches, quesadillas and corn dogs can only go so far!
change #2 Some intentional phonics with both Caiden and Ady. I was just doing some with Ady while Caiden was in school. Now they will each need the time. I am debating if I want to separate them and give individual attention, or do it together...perhaps trading off.
**time of day? **frequency in a week
change#3 Summer of science. I got free water curriculum from here
I want to do more with bubbles, big outside art, and plants/gardening and of course...bugs.
change#4 lots of swimming...Aunt Wendy and Uncle Jerry have their pool up, hopefully it will warm up one day! Both kids are excited to swim again...we will be working toward independent swimming, holding breath, and maybe diving to the bottom?
change #5 More purposeful prayer time with the kids. They are already well versed in praying at meal times, however our time spent praying for others and our own decisions is definitely lacking. **shall we start the day with this? or have it accompany nap time, or end the day with it?
Tentative schedule
6:30 ish Early Morning...bible story, prayer time---specific to a family or loved one for a whole week?
9:30 ish Mid morning...work in garden, do science something, walk some days.
12 lunch, nap time.
3-5 afternoon...swim, or go to park, followed by snack and reading/phonics.
6 Dinner
7 puzzles, board games, singing/piano
8 Bedtime (this extends our usual day by an hour.)
what do you think? too full? not loose enough for spontaneity, just right? Am I missing any key summer elements?
No comments:
Post a Comment